Policy and Advocacy Officer
- Are you a creative individual with a record of affectively translating information from diverse sources into polished and compelling written and visual content for advocacy purpose?
- Do you have a passion for health and development, improving the lives of people everywhere, and holding governments accountable for their commitments?
- Would you like to be part of a dynamic and impactful NGO seeking to ensure people everywhere can enjoy a life free from preventable suffering and death from noncommunicable diseases and risk
The Vision for Alternative Development, Ghana (VALD Ghana) is one of the public health CSOs in Ghana leading alcohol and tobacco control and NCDs prevention in Ghana, established in 2006 with a vison of “A healthy Ghana through health promotion and sustainable development”
The VALD Ghana is hiring a Policy and Advocacy Officer to join our dynamic team. This is an exciting opportunity to support the VALD Ghana national and international advocacy efforts.
Job Title: Policy and Advocacy Officer
Location: Oyarifa/Adenta – Accra Ghana
Qualifications and capabilities
- A degree in public health and or project management or related degree
- Two years of relevant work experience – in policy development and advocacy
- Strong commitment to and knowledge of global health or non-communicable diseases
- Excellent analysis, writing and communications skills in English
- Excellent team working skills
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to innovate, and flexibility
- Ability to think, plan and act strategically
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues remotely
- Writing, editing and proofreading skills, including the ability to synthesize complex material clearly, accurately and compellingly.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Willingness to work outside regular hours to achieve project/organization
- Ability to work sensitively in a multicultural setting and with people and organizations representing those living with NCDs.
- Proficient in MS Office and internet literacy requirements
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Elevate the importance of NCDs and related-issues within national and global health engagements
- Coordinate, plan and support events, such as workshops, campaign launches, and press conferences, including execution of public relations initiatives;
- Provide content and assistance on PR and social media campaigns that support communication, policy and advocacy goals.
- Draft materials including reports, op-eds press releases, statements, letters to the editor, questions and answers, fact sheets, and other materials as needed to provide information to the press,
- Assist with drafting of reports, presentations, correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, as required;
- Assist with global work to expose the tactics of unhealthy commodities, such as tobacco, alcohol and sugar sweetened beverages;
- Strengthen and build on existing partnerships and strategic relationships with key country UN agencies, government ministry department and agencies, civil society, relevant private sector, research and academic institution and, other partners;
- Gain recognition for organization by actively participating and contributing to national and international events that encourage governments and international bodies
- Represent the organization at relevant national and international meetings
- Coordinate and organize regular webinars when necessary to drive home the organizations advocacy agenda
- Provide regular progress reports as requested by our partners
- Support aspects of the Ghana NCD Alliance projects where
- Handle administrative responsibilities as needed
Salary is commensurate with education, experience and salary history.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV including an application letter (no more than 2 pages) and contact details of 2 references to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is 25th January, 2024
Note: The applicants must be a resident of Accra for easy commuting to the office located at between Pantang and Oyarifa